If you’ve done some research about cannabis and healing cannabis oils, you’ve probably come across Rick Simpson.
Simpson, who developed his own oil aptly called Rick Simpson Oil (RSO), has become famous in the medical community for being able to successfully cure his cancer using THC in his specially-formulated oil. Simpson’s story dates back in the 1990’s when he was working as an engineer in a Canadian hospital. His occupation exposed him to toxic chemicals such as asbestos in the hospital pipes and he also had to work with a strong aerosol glue. Due to poor ventilation in the boiler room where he worked, Simpson had no choice but to inhale the toxic fumes. Eventually the occupational hazard caused him to suffer from a nervous system shock, which led to his collapse at work where he fell off a ladder and became unconscious.
He finally awoke and once he came to, he asked his colleagues to transport him to the emergency room. For years after the accident, Simpson still suffered from dizzy spells and ringing in the ears. He took prescription medication from his doctors, but none of them worked. Simpson came across a documentary one day discussing the medicinal benefits of cannabis, so he asked his doctor about it. Since his doctor refused to consider it as a medicine, Simpson looked for his own cannabis, used it, and saw that it helped his tinnitus. In 2003, he noticed three bumps on his arm, had it tested, and sure enough it turned out to be basal cell carcinoma, which is a form of skin cancer.
Long story short, after doing his own research particularly one that highlighted the benefits of THC for treating cancer cells, he made his own high THC cannabis oil, which cured his cancer. Ever since, Simpson began growing his own cannabis to make the RSO extracts. Because his doctors still refused to acknowledge cannabis as medicine, Simpson faced arrest in his home country of Canada. Today he lives in Croatia but still continues to share his knowledge about cannabis oil and its effect on cancer.
Rick Simpson posted the recipe on his site, which we’ve summarized for you so that you can create your own RSO most especially because the RSO can’t be bought anywhere else – so don’t believe it if someone tries to sell you some of the stuff. Make your own at home with his recipe.
Rick Simpson Oil Recipe
The RSO is unique because unlike other cannabis oils that are focused on its CBD content, this oil uses a high THC indica strain (at least 20% THC). You’ll need to start with an ounce of dried herb which can produce up to 4 grams of the oil although the yield per ounce will depend on the strain. Keep in mind that you should also be careful when producing your own RSO due to the extremely flammable solvents. Don’t use hot healing elements and stove tops; use a fan to help blow the fumes away and do the work in a well-ventilated area the entire time.
- Put all the dried herb in a plastic bucket.
- Using the solvent, dampen the bud and crush it using a piece of clean, untreated wood around 2×2 inches.
- Once the bud has been crushed, continue adding more solvent until the herb is completely immersed in the solvent. Use the wood to continue working and mixing around the bud.
- Slowly pour the solvent oil mix into another clean container so that the starting material remains in the original container, enabling you to wash it for the second time.
- For the second washing, add fresh solvent until it’s also immersed, continuing to mix with the wood for around 4 minutes.
Pour the solvent oil mix from the second wash into the bucket holding the solvent oil from the first wash. Oils from the first wash are the most medicinally potent, but the second wash will also produce a powerful medicinal oil especially if you use top-shelf cannabis material.
- By now you can get rid of the twice washed herb, then pour the solvent oil mix into a clean container using a coffee filter.
Boil the solvent; the most effective way to do so is by using a rice cooker. AVOID stove-top cooking, cigarettes, open flames, and other red hot elements because the fumes are extremely flammable.
- Pour solvent into the rice cooker until it’s around ¾ full, then put it on high heat. Do not do this without a fan nearby because solvent fumes can accumulate if they come into contact with the heating parts of the rice cooker, causing the fumes to ignite. Add the mixture to the rice cooker as the solvent evaporates, until everything is in it.
- Once you notice the level in the rice cooker begins to decrease for the final time, add around 10 drops of water for each pound of dry material. The water will help release any solvent residue while protecting the oil from excessive heat.
- When the rice cooker only has around 1 inch of solvent mixture left, put some oven mitts on and carefully pick up the unit to gently swirl the contents until the solvent is completely boiled off. Make sure that the fan is still blowing off fumes, which can also help to speed up the process.
- After the solvent has been boiled off completely, put the rice cooker on low heat; never allow the oil to go over 290˚ F otherwise the cannabinoids will be vaporized, together with all the healing benefits of the plant.
- With your mitts on, remove the inner pot with the oil from the rice cooker and pour it into a stainless steel container.
- Put the stainless steel container into a gentle heating device like a coffee warmer, or dehydrator if you have one.
- Use a plastic syringe or any other container to dispense the rest of the oil.
Rick Simpson recommends using different strains to get the maximum benefits in your oil.